The Bad News
Catechists throughout the country hear one of the following too regularly from their students: “I didn’t make it to Mass this weekend”; “we had a tournament and didn’t get to Mass”, “My Mom and Dad say we are too busy to make it to Mass”.
The Good News
It is God’s plan and desire to draw us to Himself because he loves each of us. The invitation is always there to come be a part of the body of believers to worship and celebrate our faith as community of disciples. In the Early Church followers of “the way” (Acts 9:2) would gather on the “first day of the week” (Acts 20:7) for “the breaking of the bread”((Acts 2:42). This practice has been at the heart of the Church from the very beginning. It is essential for the life of the Christian Community to gather each Sunday to honor God on the Lord’s Day. Sunday Mass is foundational to living and bearing fruit in the Christian life. Here are ways to encourage children and their parents to attend Mass every Sunday:
1) Share with them that they will be missed if they to not attend.
2) Communicate what God does every week at Mass (sharing His Word and His Body and Blood).
3) Discuss how faithfulness to the Commandments and the Precepts of the Church draw us closer to God.
4) Share the impact of the Mass in your life.
5) Pray for parents and kids to have the grace to respond to God’s love by coming to praise and honor Him each Sunday at the Eucharistic Liturgy.